The fact of the matter is if you’re having trouble hiring, you are not alone. It is one of the pain points most discussed in the industry. There are many reasons hiring is difficult. The job might be seasonal, it takes a certain amount of self-motivation or requires skills and training that may or may not be offered. No matter the circumstances, some things ring true, like how candidates learn about jobs may influence how committed they are to that job.
The best strategy to get your job filled is a multi-channeled one. If you’re using an Applicant Tracking System like CareerPlug, chances are your jobs are already being pushed to major job boards like Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Facebook Jobs. You’ll typically see the highest quantity of applicants from those sources. Utilize what free resources you have to promote your opportunities. But don’t stop with the major job boards. CareerPlug conducted a study of over 10,000 companies and found that applicants who applied directly to a company’s careers page were 23 times more likely to be hired than applicants from job boards. To learn more about creating a website and general best marketing practices for window cleaners, watch this video:
But the real winner was referrals: Applicants who applied from referrals were 85 times more likely to be hired than applicants from job boards.
This means that custom or niche sources are king when it comes to generating quality applicants. When thinking about custom sources, start here:
- Industry Job Boards: Is there a job board that caters specifically to your industry or job type? Candidates who browse these sites are more likely to have the industry experience and qualifications for critical positions or critical roles you are trying to fill.
- Local Job Boards: Check out city or university job boards and put up your job posting to attract local applicants.
- Local Job Groups: Look into local job groups. For example, a Facebook group or LinkedIn community that connects job seekers to opportunities.
- Social Media: Take advantage of the audience you already have on social media and share your opportunities on Facebook and Linkedin.
- Employee & Customer Referrals: This can be your most powerful source of hiring leads. Encourage referrals from your employees and customers. Building a referral program with a cash incentive if you make a hire doesn’t hurt either!
Example of Success
According to Harper, “We always prefer a personal recommendation by someone familiar with Haylo. In this way, we end up with techs who have been personally vouched for by someone we trust. Where that is not possible, we have a vetting process that has a lot to do with communication, respect, literacy, and compliance. Within a couple of interactions with a potential new hire, we will know if the person is a good fit to begin training.”
Thanks to Brandi Harper and CareerPlug this conversation about how candidates learn about jobs with us. Check out Brandi on her website and on @haylopro on Instagram. If you are interested in perfecting your hiring practices, check out CareerPlug. They provide an easy-to-use system that automates many of the tedious, manual steps of the hiring process. Speak with a hiring expert at CareerPlug today to see how we can help boost your recruitment efforts, starting with a 14-day free trial.