I’ve rarely seen this subject mentioned at seminars or conferences or even in books for window cleaning professionals. But I can tell you for certain that if you don’t get a handle on your marketing, you can forget about overcoming the struggle to grow from small to big to ultimately dominating your marketplace. Hi Again, this is Jim DuBois with WindowWashingWealth.com.
In the window cleaning industry today, it’s not how much you know about running your business, nor is it the product choices or equipment purchases that you make nor the employees that you hire that determine your income. It is how effective you are at marketing yourself, your company and your services, that creates the balance in your bank account. The unhappy fact is that you can be the VERY best at what you do, provide the very best equipment, the cleanest trucks and have the best customer service in the industry, AND STILL STARVE TO DEATH if you cannot affordably and efficiently attract a steady stream of good new business, and keep the customers that you already have. In my Window Washing Wealth Marketing Modules, I break down in finite detail how to create a Faucet of Profit, which in turn becomes a Marketing Dial for a never-ending flow of leads. You MUST have a marketing arsenal. Most window cleaning companies don’t and greatly limit their potential for true success.
You need great marketing to protect your customers from poachers. And, you must have great marketing to affordably keep new work coming in. Truth is, marketing is the single most important function in your business. And, as a successful business owner, your best chance to succeed is to become your own “Master Marketing Director”.
Why would you leave the most critical function of your business up to someone else? If you truly believed that your number one duty as a business owner is to “market your business”, would your daily agenda change? You may even be saying right now, “but Jim, I do handle all of the marketing for my company and it is a priority”. My response to you in return would be “How much of your time are you truly devoting to “high value” marketing activities”? Now I’m not talking about taking a half hour to meet with an advertising rep or making time to drop your latest flyer off at the print shop. I’m talking about the kind of activities that go into becoming a true marketing oriented company.
Here are some activities that you should consider high priority in conjunction with what you are learning here:
- Studying the marketing and strategies used by your competitors. Know your market. Know your competitors.
- Networking with other business owners who service the same clients as you do. What do they do that is different or better that you can learn from.
- New Service or Product Letters
- Creating programs to stimulate referrals from your existing clients. Writing sales letters or advertising to promote new and different services to your client base.
- Creating new promotional strategies to acquire new clients. These last two are always a work in progress.
- Testing your ads and marketing campaigns to try and improve the response rates.
- Developing new ways to differentiate your company from your competitors.
- Writing articles for newspapers and magazines and a company newsletter. (I just had 2 of my staff mentioned in a local magazine two different times, keeping my company name and services “out there” in the community.
- Attending mastermind or networking meetings.
- Attending marketing conferences or seminars like the IWCA and Huge Conventions.
One of the biggest mistakes you can make as a window cleaning business owner is to be fooled into thinking that you are in the business of cleaning windows and glass. That is not the case. YOU are in the business of MARKETING your services. The quicker this realization hits you, the quicker you can start to build the business of your dreams. Great marketing can make up for a whole lot of operational flaws in your business…but not visa-versa.
Remember, marketing IS your business. What I’ve shared with you here is another new way of thinking for most window cleaning company entrepreneurs. This is priceless information if used properly. And if put it into action, a million-dollar dynasty stands before you. However, you must change your thinking and put marketing at the forefront. This is how I built my company to a staff of 40 dominating the Charlotte, NC market. Email me any of your questions at email@example.com. I always reply.
There’s no doubt, if you will take control and become your own marketing expert, your business will boom. Until next time…